Cumberland Village will become a resilient, complete, and distinctly historic rural Village. Key community destinations and neighbourhoods will be strongly connected by scenic paths and a small but vibrant mixed-use core will be supported by residents and the surrounding rural community. The unique combination of Cumberland’s historic charm, surrounding rural landscape, the Ottawa River, renowned Farmers Market and expanded heritage museum will make Cumberland Village a day trip destination for the broader region.
Goals and Objectives:
Goal 1: Establish a vibrant and active village core which highlights and builds upon the village’s heritage character.
- Objective 1.1: Ensure that any new infill development within or adjacent to the Village Core designation is compatible with Cumberland’s heritage character.
- Objective 1.2: Create a more complete and continuous Village Core through infill of vacant lots and conversion of existing residential buildings (within the Village Core) to small businesses.
- Objective 1.3: Encourage economic development through links and partnerships with the Cumberland Heritage Village Museum.
- Objective 1.4: Encourage the use of thematic materials, fixtures and furnishings such as river stone, reclaimed or rough finish wood and metal, natural stone and red brickwork to help build and maintain a distinct heritage character for the Village Core.
- Objective 1.5: Explore ways to reroute or limit heavy truck traffic through the Village Core.
Goal 2: Create pedestrian or multiuse connections between neighbourhoods, key destinations and amenity areas throughout the Village.
- Objective 2.1: Seek opportunities to systematically implement missing or currently inadequate pedestrian or multiuse connections as outlined in the Cumberland schedule D-3 plan: Cumberland’s Community Connectivity Plan.
- Objective 2.2: Protect for the future development of a multiuse public pathway connecting Wilfred Murray Park to the public grounds associated with the Cumberland Village Heritage Museum (CVHM).
- Objective 2.3: Protect for the future development of a multiuse public pathway connecting the CVHM grounds to Quillivan Drive.
Goal 3: Encourage viable proposals to increase the population of the Village in support of the Community’s vision for an increased variety of business and services within the Village Core.
- Objective 3.1: Ensure that any future residential development proposals are well integrated into Cumberland’s Community Connectivity Plan.
- Objective 3.2: Any proposed residential development should maximize the preservation of mature trees, forested areas, natural watercourses, and where possible should reflect the modified grid pattern of the village core, maximizing connectivity and solar gain.
- Objective 3.3: New residential development or infill proposals should encourage a healthier mix of housing choices that will allow residents to stay within the Village through more phases of their lives.
Goal 4: Through any future redesign of RR174, create a balanced and accessible corridor through Cumberland Village where vehicle traffic is calmed and comfortable pedestrian/multiuse connections are introduced and integrated into scenic public waterfront areas and adjacent neighbourhoods.
- Objective 4.1: Through future improvements to RR174, explore ways to advance the study and development of a waterfront lookout/reststop and public dock north of the Cumberland Heritage Village Museum to act as a public access to the Ottawa River and a riverfront gateway into the Museum.
- Objective 4.2: Through future improvements to RR 174, explore ways to create multi-use connections across, over or under RR 174 north of the Cumberland Heritage Village Museum (to the undeveloped and currently inaccessible public waterfront) and another crossing to Barnett Park north of Quigley Hill Road.